r/atheism r/atheism

Thank god that /r/trueatheism exists.

No pun intended.

Mond Cards Mond Cards

Kind of reminds me of Hotline Miami.

I just really like this kind of psychedelic weird stuff. The atmosphere always gets me.

So yeah, I liked it. It wasn't long enough to justify a great deal of stars, but here you go: 4 stars for trying to be unique for once.

Respire. Respire.

It's a solid idea. The arrangement is very nice, every part flows together nicely. I could see this style working out rather well, although it really reminds me of so many other tracks that sound almost alike.

Let's break some details down. There problems arise mainly in the mixing itself, composition is fine as is.

==

0:33 - I immediately notice the apparent overcompression.

This weird "wobbliness" in overall volume makes music kind of uncomfortable to listen to, for me at least. Either use much faster release on your master compression, or try to avoid cranking up your instruments so loud that they could go above the limiter's threshold way too hard.

For an example, at 0:58 and 1:03 I can easily hear that the sub is way too loud, overtaking everything else in the track and pressing them down in the mix.

It sounds like there's only one limiter doing compression in the master channel, so I recommend you try out multiband compression at a some point to get around this issue, apart from mixing your stuff properly first. This way you arrive at a more stable sounding master compression, as it allows you to use compression like an EQ.

1:29 - Maybe the mix is a bit too noisy here. Way too much mid-frequency action, sounds kind of washy rather than energetic. Try to have your focus a bit more on the higher frequencies, and pave your road on the mids. The shizzle is what you want here.

1:53 - Ouch, my ear! Jesus, this piano felt like it pierced straight through my eardrum as it emerged.

4:03 - Maybe the ending was a bit oddly abrupt, I would suggest smoothing these kind of cuts to make it feel like it's ending purposefully, not as if you ran out of ideas what to do next. Not saying that you did, but it has that kind of vibe to it.

==

I don't think I need to comment on much anything else, since most of this stuff really comes to you by itself via self-discovery.

Keep listening to a lot of other music and listen closely how they are mixed. This way you get a better idea what kind of sound you could try to aim for.

Also make your kick and snare stand out more. They bring depth and punch to your music.

Ilrell responds:

Thanks a lot for the feedback and all of those tips, Xtrullor :D
really helps, man ;3;/

Supercell Supercell

Nice work here mate. Solid arrangement, solid idea, albeit a little bit generic today. The section with a piano was a pleasant surprise as well.

Just a couple things came to mind that you could do better here. The mixing can always be better of course, but what I would definitely improve is how the drums pierce through the mix.

Let the bassdrum be loud as fuck, man. You'd be surprised how much you can crank it up, after which it makes everything sound much punchier in general. Having a loud kickdrum gives a lot of depth to the track, which is kind of amiss here. Try experimenting with an unusually loud kickdrum in the mix; it will sound great after you master the track.

Also let the sub region stay more sterile and empty for the sub bass. Highpass other things harder to make the sub stand out better, it also can be louder than you think.

I don't think I have much else to comment on here, as everything will adjust themselves when you just keep doing more tracks over time. It's a matter of developing the ear for it really. Just keep attentively listening to other tracks and whatever.

PS: I like your first 2 seconds of the track, if you know what I mean ;P

Lots of people find this review helpful!
VisceralSounds responds:

Thank you so much!! I've never dreamt of you suddenly popping up on the review section of one of my songs!

I will follow your advise as much as I can!
Also, I'm sorry about taking the impact soundeffect from Terran Era (I actually took from the stems), it's never going to happen again, I hope you understand (this is really embarrasing).

Thank you very, very much again!

Goblins from Mars - King Taco Goblins from Mars - King Taco

Remove this submission immediately. It is against Newgrounds' rules to post music that you did not create yourself originally.

Best regards,